Wednesday 27 February 2013

This was a ridiculous amount of painting, all started by seeing a vintage dress I loved in Lassco in Borough, which was a fatal combination of too expensive and wrong size. It had little grapes on it, which the seller kindly let me take pictures of. It is by no means symmetrical, despite long intervals obsessing and measuring, but hopefully if I always stand at a slight angle no one will notice.





I already had a black dress I never wore which was a similar style, although without the full skirt, so initially tried just to copy the grapes - but then my maximalist aesthetic took over and I couldn't stop painting, and then of course the hem looked lonely... I used almost an entire pot of gold fabric paint on this one, mixing it with acrylics to tint it as I went. When I have time I'll sew some beads or jewels on to match the original.

No comments:

Post a Comment